For the first time SCRA will provide financial support for one SCRA member to go to the next Congress, which is hosted by the Association of National Park Rangers. Going to an international gathering of Rangers can be a life-changing experience. This note tells you how to apply.
What happens at Congress?
Each Congress has a theme. For this one it is “Connecting Parks, Rangers and Communities”. Sub-themes include:
- Youth engagement
- Connecting with diverse communities
- Effect of conflict on wildlife, cultural heritage and protected areas
Typically the programmes includes keynote presentations from people with broad experience of the theme; shorter talks offered by delegates – IRF sends out a call for papers, which involves submitting a short summary of the proposed presentation; workshops; field trips; posters on the Congress theme and information exchange eg leaflets; formal business of IRF (election of post holders etc); regional meetings (SCRA is an active participant in the Europe region); and plenty of time for social interaction with Rangers from around the world. There will probably be the option of going on a pre-or post-Congress tour. For further details see www.internationalrangers.com and click on World Congress at the bottom of the home page.
What will SCRA provide?
SCRA will pay the delegate fee and accommodation, valued at over £1000. This covers delegate registration for the Congress and integral field excursions, accommodation and meals for the duration of the Congress; transport between Denver Airport and Estes Park.
SCRA will not pay the airfare from Scotland to Denver. The cheapest way that we have found is with Icelandair from Glasgow via Reykjavik at about £700. We hope that the prestige of gaining our sponsorship would open possibilities for further funding from the employer or an organisation that supports an individual’s learning and development. Also SCRA cannot pay for a pre-or-post Congress tour.
What will be expected of our sponsored delegate?
- Make a presentation or lead a workshop on one of the Congress sub-themes. This is a huge opportunity to develop professional skills and experience, so the chosen delegate will be expected to submit a proposal for a presentation or workshop. SCRA will offer support for the preparation of both the proposal and presentation or workshop, if wanted, from someone who has substantial experience of working with international audiences.
- Write an article for SCRAMBLE, to be published in the edition after the Congress
- Responsibility for updating the international section of the SCRA website until the next Congress in 3 years’ time. This is not an onerous task, as it mainly involves ensuring that links are made with relevant websites and that upcoming international events are highlighted.
How to apply
You must be a member of SCRA. Preference will be given to someone who has not had experience of attending and international event of this sort.
Please write a letter setting out:
- how you would benefit from this opportunity and why SCRA should choose to support you
- what the topic of your talk would be and why