We are delighted to pass on more information about the 2018 Ranger Rendezvous below, including workshop details and contributors.
The 2018 Ranger Rendezvous will take place on 25th – 27th September at Netherurd House, near West Linton, in the Scottish Borders. There will be a range of talks and workshops covering this year’s theme of ‘Young People’. These are detailed below.
The conference is open to anyone working as a Countryside Ranger or Manager (or a similar profession) in Scotland. The three-day event will cost £150 for SCRA members and £190 for non-members (£70 for day delegates). This cost covers all training, two nights’ accommodation and all food and drink (except bar drinks). Food will be breakfast, morning break, lunch, afternoon break and dinner.
For any communications regarding the venue, contact email@example.com
Facilities at Netherurd House
The House is in a lovely setting with spacious, wooded grounds. There are dorm rooms with bunk beds. Linen is provided, but towels are not. There is a bar. More information at http://www.netherurd.co.uk/ If you have any banners, posters, leaflets and the like for your areas of work, particularly those related to young people, that we can display around the House then please let us know.
Day by Day
• Registration at Netherurd from 2pm
• Afternoon Sessions from 3pm
- Glentress (https://scotland.forestry.gov.uk/forest-parks/tweed-valley-forest-park/glentress)
A tour by Forestry Commission Scotland of their very popular site for walkers and mountain bikers, with an opportunity to try out the trails afterwards (BYOBike, hire may be available so let us know if you’re interested). Return transport will be provided from Netherurd (leaving 2.30pm) or meet at Glentress (3pm). Please let us know if you’re coming on this site visit.
- Nature Walk – Take a stroll round the beautiful grounds of the House looking at the wildlife along the way.
- Wildlife Champions – Join the Ranger, who devised SCRA’s ‘Wildlife Champions’ badge, around the House grounds to see how to set up activities that will count towards this Scout and Guide badge.
Evening meal at 7pm with dignitories and keynote speaker.
Workshops (all facilitated, but will thrive on experience brought by attendees)
- Junior Rangers (Alan Smith, Cairngorms National Park)
Alan has been organising Junior Ranger programmes in the Cairngorms for a number of years and will lead this workshop looking at how to set up and run a successful Junior Ranger scheme.
- Social Media (Sian Jamieson, Cairngorms National Park)
Sian will take us through the technologies and platforms used by young people and will look at how best to use social media to help engage young people with their natural environment.
- Child Protection Training
An accredited course giving you the skills you need to act appropriately and confidently to protect the children you work with.
- Activity Weeks (Tracey Smith, West Lothian Council Ranger Service)
Tracey has led many week-long activity groups for children and will lead this workshop exploring how to set up activity weeks for children, without parental supervision. It will include what works well, potential pitfalls and safety and welfare considerations.
- Apprenticeship Schemes (Amanda Downie, North Ayrshire Countryside Ranger Service)
Amanda will introduce their involvement in North Ayrshire Council’s Modern Apprenticeship Programme, offering one-year Countryside Ranger placements to under 20 year olds, including on-the-job training which gives apprentices a SCQF, level 5, qualification. There will be a following discussion on benefits and limitations of setting up such a scheme.
- Quiz and Fundraiser (raising money to send a Malawian Ranger to the World Ranger Congress).
- Environmental Education Activities
A round robin of different kinds of activity, including bushcraft and games, that you can take away, adapt and use in your own workplace. If you have any activities you can share for this session then please send these to firstname.lastname@example.org by the end of August.
- Roundup and Closing Speech before lunch at 12:30